Welcome to my blog!

If you have any questions or for further descriptions of events, feel free to e-mail me!

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Onions and Clubs

SOOOOOOO, it's been a week.  Sorry, I'll try to update this more frequently!

My last post was about last Thursday, so I will start about last Friday.  That is the day I lost my wallet.  I went to class and it was the last day so that was a lot of fun.  I had a very interesting time in class that involved me teaching American history to a group of Europeans.  In case anyone was wondering: yes.  I did teach McCarthyism to Russians.  Time. of. my. life.  I actually wrote down that experience as one of my possibilities to contribute to the intercultural newsletter at Concordia, so once that has been refined more I will post that.  When we broke for lunch break, though, I could not find my wallet.  I did run into Roisin and Doireanne (her name is pronounced: Deer-in also Irish).  So, I walked all around the building and couldn't find my wallet.  I started to freak out a little bit until I remembered that I went to a bakery in the morning for a Käsebrötchen (like a fresh roll with melted cheese on top).  I went there and asked if they had my wallet and the woman looked and me with a "you should have known better take care of your stuff" sort of look and handed it to me.  SUCCESS!  We then went for pizza at a restaurant.  We then planned on a time to meet the following day for the Zwiebelmarkt in Weimar.  You should all just look at this:

http://www.qslonline.de/ldk/karten/thuer_map.jpg.

This is a map of Thuringen, the German state in which I live.  I then went back home and watched me some Lost.  The next day.....it was monumental...I SLEPT IN!!!  It was the first time since coming to Europe that I was able to sleep as long as I wanted.  It was really quite great.  I then met with Maria and April and we walked to the Westbahnhof in Jena (bahn=train hof=station, therefore Deutschebahn=German Trains).  When we got there it was PACKED!!

I was lucky enough to run into not only the Irish girls, but also many people from my language course.  The blonde girl is Katja from the Czech Republic.  The man in white is Filipo from Italy, red is Joris from France and head with the tongue sticking out is Christian from Spain!

.

We all got on the train to the Zweibelmarkt (Onion market) in Weimar.  That was the most full train I had ever been on.  We had such a great time in Weimar!  The Irish girls and Maria, April and I walked around the market that was filled with a lot of firsts for me.  My first German bratwurst and my first strawberry!


We then got a lot of alcohol.  This is a must at any German festival.  After sitting, talking, and drinking for a while, we headed back home to prepare for the evening's festivities.  My first time going to a European club!  Around 10:30 we all met at Roisin and Doireanne's apartment and hung out and had some great wine until we all decided to go out to the F-Haus in downtown for some dancing.  We had to wait for the train to come about a half an hour, so we were singing some songs to make the wait more interesting.  One was an original created by Roisin to honor the Peppermint alcohol that was all we had left that had Farbstoff in it.  That is food coloring.  That was SO fun.  We then got on the train and started singing the German drinking song our teacher taught us and the WHOLE TRAIN started singing with us!  It was one of those moments when I felt like I would be able to make it here ten months.  So much fun.

We then finally got to the F-Haus/Havana Club and started dancing after a brief trip to McDonald's.  Europeans are kinda strange dancers.  Their faces are very solemn and the sway side to side.  It's a little strange.  But, in the Havana Club there was a stage and we all took our turns jumping up on it having the time of our lives.  This is me with Alison from Ireland and Joris from France.


It was just such a great time.  We left around 3:15 and we had to walk home, but that was fine.  It helped us wind down a little.  I went to bed around 5.  It was just a really great day.

Sunday was also glorious.  I didn't leave the building all day and just watched Lost Season 6 and bummed around on the internet all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment